It's that time of year again and that time is to reflect on the past year, look forward to the new one (okay maybe that time of year was actually yesterday on NYE) and blog about my year in review!
2014 was a weird one for me. I had a lot of personal family stuff going on and in some ways, it's probably been one of the toughest years of my life. But likewise, like most years, the good comes with the bad and I made sure to enjoy myself when I could. I think this year has taught me that you can't really put your life on hold; you can go through what you need to go through but it doesn't mean that you can't take time to enjoy some good experiences too.
The past year; music was a large part of my life as well. I went to many gigs; Blink 182 (at last, after about ten years of waiting!), Kids In Glass Houses, The Maine, Fell Out Boy (the first ever Fall Out Boy tribute band) and others. But a lot of my summer was spent attending mini music festivals as well, including Slam Dunk, Hit The Deck and Camden Rocks all for the first time!
I also left a part time job I didn't quite love for another part time job that I really loved! After balancing the two jobs together unsuccessfully, I quit Next to improve my flexibility for H&M and was offered a full time position less then a month later. I love my job; I love my colleagues and the discount and everything in between. It's nice to be on a regular income that can be put towards long term goals such as driving lessons, holidays and more.
It's hard to remember EVERYTHING I got up to, but here are some snapshots from the year throughout.
1. What did you do in 2014 that you'd never done before?
Actually, not much! I attended some music festivals for the first time but that's about all.
2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any last year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What places did you visit?
Brighton, Southend, Blackpool.
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
A rockstar boyfriend please! Other than that, not much. Perhaps a job more related to my degree and my own car.
- yeah, pretty much the same as last year haha! Except, I do enjoy my current job and am happy putting my writing career on hold for the meantime whilst I save up some money.
7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched in your memory, and why?
I had an epic night out in Brighton drinking with John Ohh and Kennedy Brock and I don't think I'll ever forget that. It's nice to get to the point where your idols see you as peers and will come on a night out with you.
8. What was your biggest achievement this year?
Changing jobs and gaining more hours in my new job,
9. What was your biggest failure?
I haven't really progressed any further with my writing career or a music project I want to pursue, so fingers crossed that'll happen this year.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Gig tickets (again)
12. Who's behaviour merited celebration?
Mamaw, without a doubt.
13. Who's behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
I fell out with what once was a close friend very recently and still find it hard to understand her behaviour towards me or even why I put up with it for so long. It certainly didn't make me depressed, but her behaviour was humiliating and appalled me with how petty she acted.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Clothes and gigs. Working in a clothes store means half my paycheck actually goes back to my employers...
15. What did you get really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
I couldn't pick just one song.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you :
a. happier or sadder? A little sadder if I'm honest, it's been a tough year.
b. thinner or fatter? Fatter! I think I've put on a bit of weight over Christmas!
c. richer or poorer? about the same...
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I wish I'd had more nights out.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
The same as last year, a quiet one at home with the family and a little Christmas meal out with my closest friends.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
No, although I did meet someone and 'see' them for the last few months of the year. It certainly wasn't love but I did like them.
22. What was your favourite TV program?
The Vampire Diaries
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate at this time last year?
No, I don't really do hate to be honest.
24. What was the best book you read?
The Maze Runner!
25. What music did you get excited about?
Fall Out Boy, The Maine, Crosses...
26. What did you want and get?
I got everything I wanted for Christmas, including a cheese toastie maker! I didn't exactly want much.
27. What did you want and not get?
Nothing, I even got a cheese toastie maker haha! - Oh, yes, my cheese toastie maker from last year broke so my parents bought me a new one, ha.
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
Mmm I haven't seen many films this year, I've been all about TV shows. But The Maze Runner was amazing and last night I watched A Long Way Down which I loved.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 25 and was unfortunately working on my birthday!
30. What one thing would have made your year more satisfying?
More gigs, pursuing my music project,
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
32. What kept you sane?
Music, friends and family.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Dougie Poynter maybe?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I don't really have an interest in politics, but I've become increasingly interested in everything Russel Brand has been doing lately.
35. Whom did you miss?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
My work colleagues.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
Life has it's ups and downs, unfortunately it's just life. But you gotta stay positive.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
'I am raw and invincible'